This morning when I was walking, I was reminded of a funny exchange I had with one of my second graders at the end of the year. This little guy was busily working on a research project about George Washington. He brought his note cards to me with a puzzled look on his face. He said, "I can't figure this out. It says that George never had any children. But then it says that George and Martha had two children. I know it takes a sperm and an egg to make a baby so how did they have two children without any sperm from George?"
Ummm okay.... this is the exciting challenge of working with children. You just never know what they might say. And as Art Linkletter said...."Kids say the darndest things!"
I decided to skip the biology lesson... after all, this child's dad is a doctor and it sounded to me like he knew the science. Rather, I launched into a lenghty explanation of George and Martha's life.... Martha had been married before, her husband died, she had two children, George raised the kids as though they were his own. He patiently waited until I was finished explaining the George and Martha Washington family tree, looked at me and said...."Well. I guess Martha didn't have any more eggs!" He smiled, shrugged and went back to work.
And people wonder why we become elementary school teachers!
No comments:
Post a Comment