A few words of introduction..
I am a 60 year old father of three, husband of one elementary school teacher. Days are spent at Gonzaga University, designing, installing and maintaining A/V equipment in classrooms. Most of my "spare" time is given to running a volunteer ski patrol.
Last week, on July 9, Cindy and I showed up for an appointment at the surgical urologists' office for the results of a biopsy. It went something like this:
Doctor: I've got your test results and some bad news. You have cancer and Alzheimer's.
Man: Boy, am I lucky! I was afraid I had cancer!
Fortunately, he didn't say anything about Alzheimer's, but the next hour was filled with strange terms such as "risk grade," "stage," "brachytherapy," and "photomicrograph." Suggested available treatments were offered: Surveillance, Hormonal therapy, surgery (open or Laparoscopic), radiation (external beam or brachytherapy), cryotherapy, and a shopping list of cutting edge therapies.
In the days since, I have read many anecdotal accounts of others having been through treatment, have watched fascinating videos of actual surgeries, and have received great advice from others that have first and second-hand experience.
What's next? Next Wednesday (7/21) we have a consultation with the DaVinci-certified surgeon (laparoscopic), then another meeting Friday with the oncologist that we had the initial meeting with a week ago. Hopefully a game plan can be put in place at the Friday meeting that I can live with.
I will be posting links that I have found helpful, if you have someone close that could use the information, these are resources that have helped me understand the disease and formulate a stategy to fight it.
First comment on a virgin blog! Now it's no longer a virgin blog, thanks to me.
ReplyDeleteAs the brother of the husband of an elementary school teacher, may I say you're handling this with admirable calm and poise. First thing I did upon hearing the news was schedule a PSA test. No, that was the second thing, after talking to aforementioned brother about the diagnosis.
I'll be watching for next installment, and since this blog was Cindy's doing, we expect her perspectives to show up soon. Take care . . .
Hey brother-of-Ron.... a bit of my perspective is posted above the Ronald's!
ReplyDeleteHi Cindy and Ron,
ReplyDeleteThis blog is a great idea!
You both seem to holding up quite well for what you are going through. Just remember that I am here if you need me and that you are always in my thoughts and prayers.
And, I did make double sure my husband is getting regular PSA tests! This disease is getting way too common. Ron is the third person we know who has been diagnosed in less than six months.
My thoughts and prayers are with you both!
Linda
Ron and Cindy.. I think today is the day Ron went in for the operation. I have been thinking of you today. Looking forward to some info on your blog here. I am confident that all went well. Larry
ReplyDelete